What will the Steel Science project do?
- The Centre will focus on providing commercial R&D to address the current and future challenges of sustaining steelmaking capacity in the Region and the UK
- Work with Industry to reduce its carbon impact and place the Region at the cutting edge of low carbon production
- Development of value and supply chain opportunities in new products and processes
How will the Steel Science project do this?
The Steel Science project will:
- Create a centre where steel technologists, academic and research staff will work together to find solutions to problems facing the UK steel sector
- Develop innovative ways of how the steel industry can use local waste products to create carbon positive steel products and at alternative sources of energy that could be used during the steel making process